Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reading, Writing & Arithmetic

are the main subjects Sadie and I will cover in our first ever homeschooling adventure!

Because, I'm a visual person, I'll show you the plan:

Monday (after lunch, during Lauren's nap) 12:00 - 2:00

-prayer
-calendar/weather
-handwriting
-phonics
-math
-bible story [following the idea: 'Who is God?' Discovering God's charactor]

Tuesday 12:00 - 2:00

-prayer
-calendar/weather
-handwriting
-phonics
-math
-science

Wednesday 1:00 - 3:00

-prayer
-calendar/weather
-handwriting
-phonics
-math
-art

This is the basic outline. In addition, I have a detailed journal that organizes lesson plans. This week has been a review time and a "soft open to homeschool". :)

In addition to this Sadie will be in Dance and a Moms Group Kids Care as well as playdates with friends! I'm sure 'this' will change and be fine tuned over time! I'm glad we chose Abeka curriculum to keep us on track! Sadie does at least 2 pages from each workbook each 'school session' and then recites phonics. After this is the add on's: science projects, art, a little spanish, literature, bible lessons, cooking projects, field trips, nature walks... car repairs. Just checking to see if you were still reading? ;)

After much research and a year filled with heartache and Daddy gone long hours at work/school--we decided that HS was a good fit for our family this year.

I've always been intrigued by the idea of homeschooling. So far it's been great! I find it fun [as well as] a great motivator to keep the entire workings of the house in better shape! Almost makes me want to sit out on the front porch and churn butter! haha!

John and I see the value in traditional school and we're pretty sure our children will attend in the future. For now, it's amazing to 'stop and smell the roses' with my Kindergartener who believes education is exciting! I pray she continues a lifetime of learning with this same zeal!


[writing her lowercase letters.]

No comments: