Sunday, August 2, 2009

a hero





This man is my Grandpa Kramer. My Mom's Dad. He is, for so many reasons, my hero. He served in the Korean war as a Medic. I have never heard him complain. Not even once. He thoroughly enjoys life. He works hard and has created a beautiful life for his family [and received Gods blessings]. He is wise, and thankful in a way that only a soldier is.

The depths of his sacrifice, [and every other soldier] I believe, are unfathomable to those of us who have not been there. He narrowly missed death several times. He stared the possibility of death in the face each time he crossed battle fields to drag and/or carry fellow wounded soldiers to safety. I have heard a few stories and will spare you the graphic details.

When his platoon was dropped off at their station my Grandpa prayed a simple prayer. Something like this: "Dear God, I, Ralph Kramer, your faithful servant, vow to serve my country well. If you spare my life, I will be a good citizen and a good man. Amen."

God answered his prayer.

And, my Grandpa made good on his word.

(I believe this type of praying is a really good thing!)

My Grandpa and Grandma got engaged just before my Grandpa was drafted. I believe my Grandpa was in the service for 2 years. While my Grandpa was in active duty, my Grandma rarely heard from a him; Just a few letters, I believe. They were married not long after my Grandpa was home.

Just about 10 months after they got married, my mom was born.

I'm just pondering this for the first time tonight!

Leave WAR. Get Married. Have a baby.

All. In. One. Year.

amazing.

I am so thankful that God spared my Grandpa's life out on those battle fields. I often wonder why some die and some don't... But, I know I am thankful that God had me in mind even then in 1953 on a battle field in Korea. God had a plan for my Grandpa's life. For his children. And for his children's children.

I'm thankful tonight that God can see the bigger picture.

Prayers for Stellan

No comments: