Tuesday, March 3, 2009

"Mommy, may I have apple juice?"

When I look at these pictures, I can almost understand the saying, "You're gonna miss this."






I've been reflective today. And thankful. Thankful for my husband, my kids, my family, my friends... my life. I started the day reading Relevant magazine. I read two articles; one on the topic of Aides orphans in Africa (there is believed to be around 14 million orphaned by aides) and the other article was on the topic of abandoned children in Bolivia (it's estimated that around 72,000 kids live on the streets)... I was in a funk afterwards thinking I'm just a stay-at-home mom. what can I do to really make a difference?

Well, I quickly realized that I can't actually go out on the mission field, right now. But, I can pray for those who are out there. And I can donate money to those people/organizations and pray for them some more. If you're curious like me, here are the links to a few ministry's that help administer relief to these poverty stricken children: www.actionintl.org, www.compassion.com, www.unicef.org.

So, I cannot be in the Mission field. But. My home is in fact my mission field. God's still small voice reminded me of that truth this morning. I am smack-dab in the middle of a very important Mission field. My job is ranked very high in God's eye's! My daughters are my God-given responsibility to shape and train up in the ways that are right. Wow. Creating in them a hunger for God, His Word, an unshakeable confidence in who they are in Christ and a passion to be creative and at times daring... this is my mission. I thank God that His plan for my life is not small or insignificant (as the devil would have me belief), but it's an adventure, it's fun, challenging, humbling, and at times, it's down-right scary. But, as every adventure is; it's a treasure that's all my own! Thank you God, for blessing me and my family in all things richly, so that we can bless others! Amen!

So.

The next time I peel my baby's clothes off after she experiences a bodily fluid eruption, or I fill my 3-year-old's "kiddy cup" for the 23rd time that day. I will try hard to remember that I am storing up eternal treasures in heaven and laying the brick's for a foundation in my kids, who I pray will ultimately follow God's plan for their life.

1 comment:

OlsonFamily6 said...

that is so amazing! i know what you mean, those "lovey-dovey" days go so quickly! cherish them.

we are ALL so blessed; thank you for being that reminder today.